Hello, faithful followers, all 38 of you. Thanks so much for reading and commenting. You are beautifully, utterly encouraging is what you are. And i am standing in the need of encouragement. I had a ton of perseverance three years ago when i began querying and submitting my current novel, Beyond the Gate. I’m down to about a pound of perseverance now. And if we use the monetary term pound, i’m way down there too, because this process is costly if entered into seriously and realistically. Now, friends, i want to tell you how i am spending my last pounds:
- a 30-minute critique of my first 20 pages with an agent at the North Carolina Writers’ Network Fall Conference in Asheville November 9
- a professional edit of the first 20 pages and subsequent revision in preparation for said agent critique
- more frequent updates to my list of 500 email subscribers — hope you received the one i sent last week soliciting suggestions for agents or small publishers i might contact — appreciate the response so far including a couple specific places i’m checking out… (if you didn’t receive and want to be added, let me know)
- continued researching of agents and publishers through writers’ blogs and websites and query accordingly
- pray, always, as i enter into any aspect of these writing enterprises: Creator God, as i, your creature, attempt to create in your name, for your purpose, and by your grace, i sincerely implore that, through your merciful love, you would grant me true humility, the humility of Jesus and Mary. Amen.
Amen. So be it. What’er betide, so be it. Published by someone else — great! Published by me — okay. As i near the end of this road, i am pleasantly amazed by my deep satisfaction at having told this story as well as i can. And one way or the other, you will have the opportunity to read Jessie’s story, Beyond the Gate by Cristy Fossum, I promise.